- King Ahasuerus
and Queen Vashti.
- The king was showing off his
great riches and glorius
kingdom to his officials and servants.
- The king held a feast for all
the people in the city, from great to small.
- The king also wanted to show
off his beautiful queen to the people.
- They feared that all the
wives of the officals would also despise their
husbands and refuse to listen to them. All the women of the land would soon
master their husbands.
- Queen Vashti
was removed from before the king never to come before him again. Her crown
was taken away to be given to another who would honor the king.
- Beautiful young virgins were
sought to be the new queen.
- Esther was a Jew and the
cousin to Mordecai.She was raised by Mordecai
because her parents were not alive.
- The women went through twelve
months of preparations for beautifying themselves. Six months of oil of
myrrh and six months of perfumes.
- Mordecai discovered that two
of the king's eunuchs had plotted to harm the king. Mordecai sent word to
the king through Esther and the two men were hanged.
- The king promoted Haman above all other officials.
- Mordecai would not bow or pay
homage to Haman.
- He brought a false accusation
against the Jews before the king accusing them of not keeping the king's
laws. Therefore, they were not to remain alive.
- It was a law that no one
could come before the king unless he held out the golden scepter toward
them. They would be put to death.
- Esther asked the Jews to fast
for her three days. She and her servants would fast also and then she
would go before the king.
- Queen Esther asked the king
and Haman to come to a banquet she would prepare
- Esther asked the king and Haman to come again the next day for another banquet
and then she would make known her petition.
- a. Mordecai would not stand
or tremble before Haman. This made him very
angry. b.Haman's wife and friends advised him to
build a gallow and suggest to the king that
Mordecai be hanged on it the next day.
- a. The king could not sleep
that night. b. The king found the record of where Mordecai had reported of
the plot against the king by his two eunuchs.
thought surely the king was referring to him.
- Mordecai was given a royal
robe that the king had worn and a horse on which the king had ridden and
was led around the city before the people by one of the king's most noble
- Esther pleaded for the life
of her people and herself
- He saw Haman
fallen across Esther in an assaulting postion.
- The gallows that were built
for Mordecai were suggested for Haman. The king
ordered Haman's death on the gallows.
- Esther asked the king to reverse
the decree that was written to annihilate the Jews
- The king told Esther to write
another decree in the king's name and sealed with his signet ringed that
would allow the Jews to protect themselves against anyone who would try to
- The Jews were able to
overpower their enemies. All feared the Jews.
- She asked for one more day
for the Jews against their enemies and for the ten sons of Haman to be
hanged on the gallows.
- The Feast of Purim became the
day for the Jews to remember how a day of sorrow and mourning became a day
of joy and a holiday for them.
- Mordecai became second to